Skin problems in pets are a common issue for owners and something that most veterinary professionals frequently encounter. Pet dermatology problems can have various causes, ranging from minor, occasional itching to more serious conditions causing discomfort and potential infection.
At Precious Paws Animal Hospital in Tampa, Dr. Maniatty is well-equipped to address various skin issues with effective treatment in a compassionate and caring environment. We invite you to visit us for dermatology services, as well as a full range of other medical services, including emergency veterinary care. If you're concerned about your pet's skin health, read on for more information.
Common Causes of Pet Dermatology Issues
1. Environmental Factors: Many skin problems can be traced back to allergic reactions to substances like grass, pollen, mold, and dust mites. Sometimes, household items like laundry detergent, cleaners, and air fresheners can be the culprits.
2. Food Allergies: Pets may develop reactions to specific food ingredients such as chicken, beef, and dairy. Signs of a food allergy can include scratching the face, ears, vomiting and diarrhea.
3. Ringworm: Despite its name, ringworm is not a worm but a fungus that appears as crusty red rings on a pet's head, ears, paws, and legs. It's highly contagious and requires professional treatment.
4. Dandruff: Flaky skin can result from a poor diet or dry air. It can lead to severe itching in pets.
5. Ticks and Fleas: These pesky parasites are among the most frequent causes of skin irritation in pets, leading to itching, scratching, and biting at their skin.
6. Mange: Mange is a condition that causes hair loss and is triggered by mites. It necessitates medication for treatment.
Signs Indicating Your Pet Might Have a Dermatology Issue
If you observe any of these symptoms in your pet, it's crucial to schedule an appointment at a pet hospital as soon as possible:
• Unusual scratching, licking, or biting
• Skin sores and blisters
• Dry, flaky skin
• Redness and inflammation
• Hot spots
• Lumps or bumps
• Hair loss
• Rubbing against the floor, furniture, etc.
Available Treatments for Pet Dermatology Issues
Depending on the specific skin problem your pet is facing, your vet may recommend various treatments, including:
• Flea and tick prevention
• Dietary changes
• Supplements like Omega-3
• Ointments and creams
• Oral medications such as antibiotics or steroids
• Medicated shampoos
Contact Precious Paws Animal Hospital in Tampa, FL
Are you looking for a veterinarian near you? If you are concerned about your pet's skin condition, please don't hesitate to get in touch with us for a consultation at 813-755-3855. Our team of veterinary specialists is here to ensure your pet's optimal health and well-being.